2014-05-07 / Opinion

Online comments Reader offended by tone of editorial - April 30, 2014

Not an online subscriber yet? Sign Up Here
Purchase this online single issue Purchase Now
Note: You must have cookies enabled to use subscription service
Member Functions:
Forgot your password?

Return to top

Why Should Taxpayers Foot the

Why Should Taxpayers Foot the Cost of Frivolous or Neglectful Lawsuits? Mary Stavragos's comment about taxpayers paying for lawsuits involving public entities,such as the 'Pledge of Allegiance' lawsuit, has stirred up another heated pet peeve with me and others. Whether it be a government, local school district or library, even public funded hospitals and clinics suits, because of the lack of due diligence or a frivolous lawsuit, the taxpayers should not on the hook for the costs of either the payouts or cost of the suit. Frivolous suits lost should have the plaintiffs pay the public court costs if they loose. The same should go for officials or persons of authority who's lack of due diligence or neglect if the case is won by the plaintiff. It seems lately every time a politician or a bureaucrat makes a mistake the taxpayer pays huge court payouts and costs. If the responsible party caused the problem, unless it was a public policy problem, they should bare the cost of their mistake not John Q Citizen. The same token should go in the private sector, CEO's, CFO's COO's and other management personnel should pay for their mistake out of their pockets rather than the end user consumer. Also frivolous law suits lost in the private sector the plaintiff and the judge should pay the court costs. Yes the JUDGE! He or she had the opportunity not to waste the court's precious time and resources on frivolous law suits. If they would through out every law suit our court system would not be backlogged as it is now. Plus all the bleeding hearts in the USA, like in most other countries, could not sue unless the case is righteous!!


Did the Baltimore Ravens and NFL handle the Ray Rice case responsibly?